Final exams are around the corner! Here are some tips and tricks to optimize your study techniques so you can ace those finals!
- Maintain a positive outlook. Believe you will do well even if you feel overwhelmed at the moment. Keep yourself energized and alert by getting at least 7-9 hours of sleep a night and eating nutrient dense foods.
- Keep a 40-20 rule. Study for 40 minutes then take a break for 20 minutes to snack, stretch or meditate to clear your mind. Putting your devices on “do not disturb” or silent can also help minimize distractions.
- Keep yourself organized. Plan out the days you want to dedicate to each class and to each subject that you’ll be tested on. By doing this you can set your mind to completing one thing at a time and not jump back and forth between classes.
- Take your time studying. Most final exams are anywhere from an hour and forty five minutes to three hours. By practicing concentrating for that extended period of time, you’ll be better prepared for the real test day.
- Figure out your optimal study style. Are you better with autonomously studying or are you better in a group setting? Utilize the study style you tend to focus more with.
- Create a practice test for yourself. By doing this you will leave little doubt for concepts you’re not confident with. Mark the ones you couldn’t answer wrong and study that material until it is crystal clear.
- Take time for yourself. Take at least 20 minutes out of every hour that you study to do something you enjoy or that helps you clear your mind. Exercise and meditation are both very helpful!
- Start preparing your study material 2 weeks in advance. Don’t wait until the last minute to cram in all of your studying. Rely on your long term memory more than your short, since you’ll have a lot of material to recollect on test day.
- Use tricks to remember information! Use repetition, acronyms, songs, associations and/or visuals to help with memorizing material.
- Minimize your stress! The best way to do this is to be prepared. Keep your blood pressure low, stay hydrated and come prepared to ace your finals.
“Great minds have great purposes, others have wishes. Little minds are tamed and subdued by misfortune; but great minds rise above them.”