Before you head out on your spring break road trip, you’ll want to make sure you have mechanical breakdown coverage. When you purchase a vehicle, you are offered an extended warranty in addition to the factory warranty that comes with your new vehicle. This warranty typically covers 12 months or 12,000 miles, 36 months or 36,000 miles. This warranty protects the vehicle against defects in workmanship and material. Special federal law regulates the manufacturer’s performance under the warranty coverage.
A Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) policy is similar to an extended warranty; however it differs in that it is an agreement between the vehicles owner and the company that is selling the policy. The Company/Administrator becomes responsible for providing reimbursement to the vehicles owner for covered components as specified in the policy terms. Here are some of the benefits of purchasing an MBI Policy over an extended factory warranty:
• There is no limit on the number of claims a policy holder can submit
• Repairs can be made at ANY licensed repair shop in the United States
• Nationwide 800 number to report claims
• Fills in gaps of the factory warranty
• 24 hour roadside assistance, tire protection reimbursement, rental coverage up to $180 per occurrence and an additional $120 available for parts delays
• Protects against large repair bills
• Reasonable costs with low deductibles
• Increases resale value of vehicle
• Payment plans available
MBI coverage is far more extensive than dealership extended warranties. There are several levels of coverage that may be selected based on your individual needs and preference. Contact an agent at The Trident Agency to discuss which plan works for you!